It is important to stay vigilant, take proper precautions, and be mindful of all the different things that can cause fires this time of year - Christmas trees and lights, candles, space heaters and fireplaces.
Facts about home holiday fires:
- One of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four Christmas tree fires.
- The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year's Day, and Christmas Eve.
- Candles start two out of five home decoration structure fires.
Source: National Fire Protection Association
To learn more facts about holiday fires and how to prevent them, view the following infographics: Put a Freeze on Holiday Winter Fires by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) and Wrapping up the Holidays - Preventing Winter Fires by the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI).
You can also read our previous blog posts on holiday fires: Don't Let Your Christmas Tree Go Up in Flames! and Let Us Help Protect Your Family from Holiday Fires.