The BBB and the FTC both warn people about purchasing alarm systems from unsolicited salesmen. Both see complaints rolling in every summer from people, especially the elderly, who have been duped into buying an alarm system from an unscrupulous salesperson or switching to an unlicensed alarm company they cannot, now, reach or get out from under.
These fly-by-night companies are not locally owned or operated, and will use deceptive tactics to try and get you to switch to them. Some tactics our own customers experienced with these door-to-door salesmen are:
- State that they work for Alarm Center Security yet show up with no appointment (we NEVER solicit or go door-to-door).
- Claim they are there to "upgrade" your existing system.
- Claim to be offering a certain number of "free" systems in your neighborhood.
- Misrepresent that Alarm Center Security is "going out of business".
- They may make a time-limited offer and claim you need to act now.
- They may pressure their way into your home and then refuse to leave.
- They may outright use scare tactics, such as claiming there has been a rash of burglaries in your neighborhood.
You should always exercise caution when letting someone in the door. Ensure you are always dealing with a reputable alarm professional by taking the following steps:
- Don't answer the door if you don't know who is knocking.
- Ask for an ID badge, business card or literature with their company name.
- Ask for their State Alarm License Number. All Alarm Center Security representatives have required state licenses.
Be wary of anyone knocking on your door and be sure to alert your family and friends to also be on guard this summer. Remember to keep the tips outlined here in mind and be sure that anyone you let into your home is coming from a licensed, reputable company.
If you believe that you have been a victim of these door-to-door scam sales or are aware of them going on in your neighborhood, please contact us immediately at (225) 292-5276. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.